Tuesday, December 20, 2005

20?

Each culture defines the point from where age is counted differently. Some cultures count a persons age from the day they were born (1 day old... etc), others count the person to be a year old at the moment of birth.

Today's
December 20th, 2005 and I was born on July 27th, 1986. So following the standard that my age is counted from the day I was born, I should be 19 years, 4 months and 23 days old (roughly). Following the other standard, I would be 20 years, 4 months and 23 days old. But am I actually either one? By the standard held by the majority of the world I rightly fully am 19 years, 4 months and 23 days old- but when thinking about these "standards", neither seems to be too accurate.

Say it took a full term of 9 months for me to be born... although I already existed (or at least a portion of me existed) from the moment of conception, when I am born I'm labelled 0 days old. Where did those 9 months go?

As for the other standard, if I'm 1 year old when born... where the hell did I get the extra 3 months to make a year?

So basically I'm saying: I'm neither 19 years, 4 months and 23 days old, nor 20 years, 4 months and 23days old but more realistically 20 years, 1 month and 23 days old.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home